Tuesday 12 May 2020

Teazel and Beth, two very different dogs

Teazel was Wendy's Cairn terrier. Originally spoilt but soon a companion accepted even by cows, except on one occasion. Beth, a Welsh border collie , arrived as a tiny pup by train. It took Bill a while to find out why she developed such a beautiful shiny coat during her mysterious excursions.

Cairn Terrier - Image by Doris Metternich on Pixabay

Extract from Bil Clark's, former Warden of Wandlebury, autobiography 'Route and Branch'


I must tell of ‘Teazel’, Wendy’s little Cairn Terrier – getting old, but still full of life, and like many ladies’ pets, used to getting his own way, liked good food, and was a tad overweight: and still had much to learn! That of course was my opinion. Teazel thought he knew all he wanted to know in his role of being a ladies pet. He would attack an Alsatian and swing on it’s tail if he wanted to, in fact do most things, as and when he wanted to. He would not sit, or come to heel at the first time of asking for anybody – and most certainly not for the new member of his family. Having always lived with dogs, I thought I should take

Teazel in hand! Wendy agreed, and so whenever possible, Teazel accompanied me on my walks to inspect the crops and animals, especially my trips back and forth with the milkers. Keeping him to heel proved to be a doddle – he quickly learnt that close to the heels of his trainer avoided hulking great cows sniffing at him. Sitting by the gate outside the field was much more preferable to wandering among skittish heifers. He was soon sitting patiently waiting without being tied. And of course all the walking got him lean and fit.

Eventually the cows gave not a second glance when we walked between them – until one morning! We walked through those waiting at the gate. Further off, the rears of three cows protruded from an angle in the hedge, and as they took no heed when I called, I guessed they were sniffing at something interesting – my thought was a fox kill. I walked over; and simultaneous with rounding the corner and seeing a fourth cow and calf, the three turned, saw Teazel, bellowed, and charged! I vividly pictured the trouble I would be in as I carried home Teazel’s lifeless body. The first cows – sedately walking up the lane – now turned and came rushing back. Even if I could have picked him up, the enraged cows would have knocked me down too. I just yelled...

Listen to the full podcast of Teazel and Beth here:
https://archive.org/download/teazel-and-beth/CH4c-Teazel-and-Beth.mp3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.